INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR DEMOCRACY AND ELECTORAL ASSISTANCE
Date of posting: 2 April 2008 [To top]
This website, idea.int (the ‘Site’), is owned and operated by the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (‘International IDEA’). For more information about our organization please see About Us.
2. THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
We collect personal information from you when you:
Sign up to our newsletter
- If you register on the Site to receive International IDEA’s bi-monthly newsletter, we collect personal information such as your name, country and e-mail address.
- We use this information to send you your requested newsletter, email alerts on new publications and other information on International IDEA such as details of special events. We use this information to assess the use of our newsletter by different countries and different types of users. We also use this information to drive our communications programme.
Register with us to place an order for a publication in print format
- If you complete the order form on the Site for a print publication (available during the “Checkout” process), we collect personal information, including your telephone number and your address.
- In respect of paid-for print publications, we pass this information on to our distributors who will contact you to progress your order. Please see Distributors of Publications in Print Format below to see how this is done. In respect of free print publications, we use this information in order for our organization to progress your order.
Register with us to download a publication in electronic format
- If you register on the Site to download an electronic publication free of charge, we collect your name, gender, organization, country and email.
- We use this information to assess the use of our publications by different countries and different types of users. We also use this information to drive our publications programme.
Provide us with feedback
- If you provide feedback to us, whether by using the Contact Form or otherwise, we collect any personal information that you disclose to us.
- We use this information to improve the Site and the services we offer.
Register to be notified of vacancies with International IDEA
- If you register to receive information on vacancies with International IDEA, we collect personal information including your name, email, preferred work location and position type.
- We use this information to notify you when suitable vacancies arise in the category(ies) you have chosen.
Create or update your CV
- If you choose to apply for a vacancy with International IDEA and create or update your CV, we will collect any personal information that you disclose in your CV, such as your date of birth, nationality, gender and language.
- We use this information to consider your application and your suitability for the vacancy.
3. INFORMATION SHARING AND DISCLOSURE
We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, give information about you to the following, for the express purposes set out below:
if you sign up to our newsletter
- to our employees and agents for them to send you your bi-monthly newsletter;
if you decide to place an order for a print publication
- to our distributor, where the publication requires payment, so that they can process and where possible complete your order;
- to our employees and agents, where the publication is made available free of charge, for them to process and where possible complete your order;
if you register to receive information on vacancies with International IDEA
- to our employees and agents for them to provide you with information on vacancies in the category(ies) you have chosen;
if you apply for a vacancy
- to our employees and agents for them to assess your application;
if there is a transfer of business
If we do give your information to the third parties set out above, we will always require they adhere to the same security procedures that we follow ourselves. [To top]
4. LEGAL REQUESTS
We may need to disclose personal information to protect our and our licensors’ rights and property or to comply with any applicable law or valid legal process. [To top]
5. TRANSFER OF PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE OF EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA
6. DISTRIBUTORS OF PUBLICATIONS FOR PURCHASE IN PRINT FORMAT
6.1. Our publications are available to purchase in print format direct from our distributors. If you wish to place an order for a publication from our distributors, please complete the order form available during the “Checkout” process. We will then pass your order details on to the relevant distributor and they will contact you direct to progress your order, by sending you a pro-forma invoice. You will find the distributor’s terms and conditions of sale on the reverse of the pro-forma invoice. If you do decide to proceed with the purchase of a publication from our distributor, please remember that your contract for that purchase will be with the relevant distributor, not us.
6.2 If you reside in the United States or in Canada, our distributor is Chicago Review Press Inc, 814 N. Franklin Street, Chicago Illinois, 60610, United States.
6.3 If you reside anywhere else in the world, our distributor is Gazelle Book Services Ltd, White Cross Mills, Hightown, Lancaster LA1 4XS, United Kingdom.
6.4 Please see Ordering our Publications in Print for further information. [To top]
7. AGGREGATED INFORMATION
We may share non-personal aggregated statistics data about visitors to the Site and sales and traffic patterns with our publishing partners and other third parties. Just to be clear, this information does not identify users in any personal capacity; it just gives generalised information about the users of the Site. [To top]
8. COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKED INFORMATION
8.1. While on the Site, certain information is automatically logged about how you are using the Site. This information may include the URL of the website which linked you to the Site, your IP address and the pages you visit while on the Site. Your IP address is used to gather broad demographic information, such as determining top pages visited, top electronic publications downloaded, most common entry and exit pages, length of stay in seconds, number of pages viewed per session, and understanding which countries access what types of information as trends in page access after certain events. Your IP address indicates the location of your computer on the internet. IP addresses are not used to track your session and are not linked to anything personally identifiable.
8.2. A feature known as a cookie is also used. A cookie is a small data file that resides on your computer which allows us to recognise you as a user when you return to the Site using the same computer and web browser. The cookies and other automatically tracked information are used:
- to allow the selection of publications into a shopping cart;
- to personalise your experience on the Site by tracking publication registrations;
- to help us better understand how users use the Site so that we can administer, support and improve the Site and the services that we offer; and
- for internal teams to evaluate their performance and the popularity of their online products and data.
10.1. As required by Swedish Data Protection laws, including the Data Protection Act (1998:204), we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information which you have given to us, to prevent unauthorised access. In particular, we use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to encode your personal information. SSL encrypts your contact details and your password as it travels through the Internet. Encryption creates billions of code combinations to protect each transaction made on the website, so your details cannot be viewed by anyone else using the internet.
10.2. Despite using this technology, we cannot guarantee the security of the information that you disclose to us. You accept the inherent risks of providing information and dealing on-line and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless this is due to our negligence or wilful default.
10.3. If you have any concerns about security, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. [To top]
11. UPDATING REGISTRATION INFORMATION
11.1. If your email address has changed and you would like to continue to receive communications from International IDEA, please go to the Sign Up area of this website and complete the form to register your new email address. If you would like to change any other registration details you provided when you signed up to receive the newsletter, you can email info.
11.2. If you want to update your registration information on the Create or Update Your CV section of the Site, you simply have to log in and follow the instructions. [To top]
12. RIGHT TO SEE YOUR INFORMATION
You have the right to obtain a copy of the personal information that we hold about you, whether collected through your use of this Site or through any communications that you have had with us. You will need to provide us with a written signed request (e-mails are not accepted). We will provide this information free of charge for one request per calendar year. If you require more frequent copies of your information, we reserve the right to charge a reasonable administrative fee to cover our costs for providing this information. If you have any queries about your right or wish to make such a request, please contact us by post addressed to the Head of Communications, International IDEA, Strömsborg SE-103 34 Stockholm, Sweden and we will do our best to resolve these within a reasonable time. [To top]
13. POLICY CHANGES